This blog is about things we love and enjoy, our happy times, and our day to day struggles. Overall, life is great!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scout Camp '08



It is interesting how things change from when you are a kid...This is me with the only horse I have ever been calm with...his name is Lug Nut. As a kid a scout camp, I was completely fearful of the horses and what they could do to me. With this horse I was completely comfortable and at ease. He obeyed every command I gave and never gave me any trouble. I guess it all comes down to the horses personality and what they are willing to put up with...hmmm, just like people.



At Camp Baldwin they have a Scout Master award deal called, "Scout Master Meritbadge". This is for SM's that do 'extra' at camp besides checking on the boys, chaperoning and generally just being there. We had a sheet that we had to get 300 points to earn level 1 (each level is 300 points more). So each level also has a patch related that is earned when the level is completed. Only 4 SM's did this program in the camp (Jim Serra, Bishop Peterson and myself + 1 from another troop). We ended up pouring cement don't let the smile fool you - not that easy; cleaning the showers 2 days as well as a host of other trying or fun activities that challenges the Scout Master and gets them very tired.


There is a story behind this picture...Our troop did not stay here, we were in Tamarak site. I got this because at my very last scout camp, Dad, Josh and myself stayed in this campsite and had a picture at this exact site that I am standing...the site had changed little, but the old sign had been taken out or decomposed or something. It brought back some memories of having Dad at my last camp as a scout some 14 or 15 years ago.




C'mon...I had to...couldn't resist...what it if said JUMP OFF "(Insert your name here)"...you'd have to as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some good times....good memories :)
Love Mom

Wendy said...

Joe,
Where's your scout uniform? I see Dad in his, but you don't have one on. Where's your scouting spirit? Ha Ha! I remeber Dad telling us to wear a scout uniform no matter what. I never liked that. Every time we went to scout camp when I went to Camp Baldwin we stayed at Skyloo. I have a lot of memories there as well. We always requested it because there were so many fun times. We never wanted to try anything else. I think Dad went there every time I went to camp. I also remember Jump of Joe. Isn't that just a small hike down the road and to the left of Skyloo?
That scout master program sounds great! Did you complete it? I understand the cement pouring and smoothing. I worked for Rusty Feik in Washington and we had to do that one day. I thought I was going to die. It was one of the hardest jobs I ever did with him. Are you the scoutmaster for the 12 and 13 year olds? How does it work there. Since our ward did things differently back then I never associated anything different between a scoutmaster and the Venturing or Explorer groups. We are very much seperated here with uniforms, groups, activities, etc.